Sunday, January 4, 2009

THE 411 - WELCOME TO FLASHY FICTION

WELCOME!

You have entered a world of your own making, a writing adventure based upon the daily prompts offered by our staff at Flashy Fiction.  We ask you to join us as often as you'd like, your efforts and support are greatly appreciated.

WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW?

We provide you with a quote or photo, an idea or a premise that will spark your muse.

Write your bit of Flash Fiction to fit the prompt and post it as a comment under that day's offering.

Read the works of others and offer your critique or encouragement. We thrive on those little pats on the back to spurn us onward.

Remember we are an open site and cater to writers of all ability and age levels. We will not censor your work, but please be mindful that younger writers visit as well. There is a certain understanding they must assume as well, but we wish to keep this site friendly to that fact.


OUR LINE UP

RJ Clarken - Mondays
Rob Halpin - Tuesdays
Mike Grove - Wednesdays
Walt Wojtanik - Thursdays
Hannah Gosselin - Fridays
OPEN MIC - Saturdays *
Laurie Kolp and De Jackson - Sundays

* OPEN MIC will dig into the archives and post classic prompts from past years to recycle some great ideas.

And one more thing: Have fun here. Let your imaginations loose; think beyond the norm. Put your talent on display and we will help promote your efforts.

WE HOPE YOU ENJOY THE SITE AND WE WELCOME ANY IDEAS YOU THINK MAY ENHANCE FLASHY FICTION. THANK YOU FOR GIVING US A LOOK!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. There are a number of definitions, including words counts and time limits. Flash fiction is synonymous with short, short stories. We don't really have a word count limit. I've written as short as two or three sentences and as much as 700+ words, some more edited than others.

      Delete
    2. My apologies for taking so long to reply to your question. I almost never come to this page since reading it the first time. I hope you'll come back and share some stories with us.

      Delete
  2. Since FLASHY FICTION is the title to my new novel, I might as well post a story.

    CELEBRITY BY DARIAN LANE

    What’s it like being the greatest writer of all time?

    I’ll tell you.

    The Sun, The Moon, The Stars all bow when I exit the apartment. Girls with glasses look at me. Stare. Guys get jealous. Cars stop in the middle of the street. People ask for autographs. Always expecting me to write something snippy or witty. Awkward moments. I just scribble my name.

    I never have to buy a drink or pay for a dinner. People are perverse that way. Strangers walk up to me like they know me. The pictures. The pictures. Picture perfect moments that are flawed. Flash.

    And the women. Oh, the women. Always asking, When your next project is coming out? I usually hem & haw some obscure answer that gets them all the more curious. The more curious, the more dot dot dot …

    In college I used intellect, charm, pizazz; now I just hand them a short story and watch them foam at the mouth. All it takes is a sentence. A word. A phrase. And the foam starts spewing. Sometimes they break into convulsions from my genius. Almost like an epileptic fit. It is at this point in the conversation I bend over, retrieve my product, meticulously place my phone number in their purse, and step over them as I walk through the double doors into the gleaming light of my greatness…

    There is however a seamy side. People always try to copy my work. Talentless People. Bitter; they create labels for you, labels like; arrogant, self-serving, misogynistic, asshole. Their overly-read intellect will not allow them to appreciate the innovative, the mind-boggling sheer power of my writing. Sometimes they’ll even try to compare me to another author; thus giving off the subliminal message I copied that writer. Nobody writes like me, I tell them. Nobody.

    As a child I used to stare into the mirror and ask myself…”Vincent, you genius of a writer you, what would you rather have…success “or” be known as the greatest writer of all time?’ In a flash I had the answer. Immediately I dropped to my knees and begged God to grant me talent over success. God has answered that prayer. Yet I question it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you say God answered that prayer, which did He give you, talent or success?

    ReplyDelete